To file a report of an abandoned vehicle, call 508-929-1300 or submit your request online through our online customer service center.
- Upon notification of a potentially abandoned vehicle, Worcester Parking Control Officers visit all reported locations to determine validity of report. This includes both public and private streets and any City-owned property.
- When a vehicle is “deemed to be abandoned” it will be green-tagged and scheduled for removal. The vehicle is removed after 72 hours if the problem has not been “fixed” or the vehicle is not moved to a private property.
- A vehicle is deemed abandoned if it has not moved in 72 hours and has no plates, an expired registration, missing wheels, broken windows, filled with junk, etc…
- If the vehicle in question poses a safety hazard of any kind (parked in front of a fire hydrant, in a crosswalk, on the sidewalk, broken glass all around, near a school, etc…), the 72-hour rule is superseded by the safety issue and the vehicle is towed immediately.
- The vehicle will be towed after 72 hours from the date the vehicle was tagged.
- Tow company will store the towed vehicles for 30 days.
- After the 30 days from the date the vehicle was towed the vehicle becomes the property of the tow company.
- Any registered owner desiring to reclaim the vehicle must obtain a release slip from the Worcester Parking Administration Office after paying the $500 fine (first time offender) or $700 (second time offender).
- If the registered owner is in need of time over the 30 days, please contact the tow operator directly.
ABANDONED VEHICLE HEARINGS
- A hearing is scheduled for the last registered owner of each towed vehicle.
- The fine is $500 for first time offender and $700 for second time offender, whether or not the registered owner wishes to reclaim the vehicle.
- If the owner fails to appear, s/he is considered “guilty by default.”
If the last registered owner claims s/he sold, gifted or donated the vehicle, it is required that s/he show proof that s/he is no longer the owner, by providing a certified copy of the Bill of Sale and a copy of the front and back of the Title, which would include the address and signature of the new owner.
REGISTRY OF MOTOR VEHICLES
If the registered owner is found responsible their license and registration is “marked” at the RMV and prevented from doing any business with the Registry (renew driver’s license; register or renew the registration on any other vehicle) until such time as the account is cleared with the City of Worcester.
HAVE A QUESTION?
Read our FAQ’S